Microsoft Education

Feedback by UserVoice

School Data Sync

Hi there, you’ve reached the Microsoft Education suggestion box site for School Data Sync. We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications may be merged together)
3 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

How can we improve School Data Sync?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Know what has been sync by SDS versus manually added

Know that SDS won't touch what has been done manually in exemple an added student's membership to a specific teams-classroom, Would be nice to know what has been done and maintain by sync versus what has been done manually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow SDS to filter on Domain Name

We would like to have SDS have an option where we can filter "Teachers" that are not normally part of our Education environment. We have teachers that are from DPI that do not have Office 365 accounts so we get errors when we sync. If we could filter to only sync our domain accounts then those errors would go away. You can imagine that this could be a pain with hundred so these accounts that can be spread across 200 schools.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Dedicate an admin rights group for SDS

Why SDS would need GA rights is beynond me, albeit my knowledge about SDS is limited. It seems like this could be accomplished via an pre-defined group like Exchange Service Administrator instead.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Teams should be optional

We would like to use SDS to deploy some Featured Apps displayed on: https://sds.microsoft.com

Teams are provisioned as soon as I submit our data. This requires additional end-user training about Microsoft Teams. This prevents us from deploying managed apps for education.

SDS is also able to provide Intune with the necessary information to manage BYOD (iOS) devices, but we can't use this in our district as not everyone is ready for Microsoft Teams.

Managing Apps and Devices (from IT-perspective) depends on the end-user Microsoft Teams adoption.

"Provision Microsoft Teams" should be an optional checkbox in a sync profile.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Profile Option to Hide from Address Lists

It would be cool if when the profile is set up, we had an option to hide the section groups from address lists. Currently I have to do this manually after the fact, it's not difficult to do, just a bit of a pain and seems like it would be an easy fix.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Upload from a single .xls file instead of six .csv’s

My oh my, setting up six separate csv files with all this critical information cross linked with IDs like a database has to be one of the weakest and most error-prone setups ive come across in 30 years of IT.. I guess the product just isn’t finished and this was a quick hack to get going?
    At least support upload from a multi-tabbed xls file and provide a template with macros to generate the IDs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SDS Term Transition and Expired Class Management Clean Up Process should have the option to remove all manually added students

SDS Term Transition and Expired Class Management Clean Up Process should have the option to remove all manually added students

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sort the Sections, Students and Teachers in Your Organization view

This is very frustrating having the listings all over the place all out of order. I was trying to verify who was imported and to ensure things were looking right and I had to either scroll up and down to find each or use the search. If the listings had been alphabetical it would have been a cinch to follow down my alphabetical list and verify everything.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Parent Data in SDS

Provide for parent data in SDS, either via CSV or Clever. Many of these requests have been to allow parent access to this or that. Let's get the parent data in there first so we can link them to the appropriate students & grant access to resources, etc.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Changelog for SDS Toolkit

Provide a change log for the SDS tookit showing the date it was updated as well as what changed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Events to publish changes to the school roaster via rest api.

I think you do not have the feature to provide updates that happen to the school roaster via the REST API. This would be a vital requirement for App Partners.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Handle Removal and role changes of users

Currently there is no way for the SDS to update a team based on the incomming data. I mean for example from these scenarios.

1. Teacher sets himself as student for some reason.
    Sync will not lift back up the user to a teacher when it runs.
    This should happen since the data is comming in telling o365 that xxxx user should be a teacher and not a student in yyyyy team.

2. If a teacher adds a student or other teacher to the team the wrong way. By the wrong way i mean using the interface of Teams to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Upload from a single .xls file instead of six .csv’s

My oh my, setting up six separate csv files with all this critical information cross linked with IDs like a database has to be one of the weakest and most error-prone setups ive come across in 30 years of IT.. I guess the product just isn’t finished and this was a quick hack to get going?
    At least support upload from a multi-tabbed xls file and provide a template with macros to generate the IDs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow create and validate profile WITHOUT actually syncing and creating objects

I went to use the validate powershell scripts, but they couldn't be run without having a profile. I couldn't create a profile without actually importing and synchronizing the CSV files that are being imported. There should be a way to create the profiles and test against them, even viewing your data in Your Organization view, while not actually making you import and sync right away which creates the groups, users (if configured), and associations. This is just a very trimmed down feature set which needs to be expanded to provide enterprise level options and support.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Functional use for period times

Would be nice to define the period times in admin and have the outlook calendar populated by those periods attached to a class. We currently use a custom app and calendar subscription to do this but integrating it into SDS and the sync would be great.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Select what Powerschool Fields to sync with Azure

We should be able to select what fields from Powerschool do we want to sync with Azure.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. it should support Arabic language

When it support Arabic language it will be able to display section name in Arabic and course name in Arabic and any other information in Arabic

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

School Data Sync

Feedback and Knowledge Base