I suggest you ...

Parent's can view classroom and OneNote

Parent's can view the classroom (including their own child's OneNote).

460 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Scott LettsScott Letts shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree with this suggestion. Many of my parents are vigilant about keeping up with their student's success and staying on top of issues with the child procrastinating about completing assignments or not using their time wisely during classtime at school. I agree it would cut down on phone calls and emails about what the student is doing if they could see the class' activity.

• David R VillarrealDavid R Villarreal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Communication with parents at public schools is paramount to student success. Read only access to all student content will strongly support a teacher's effort to narrow the student parent relationship. A chat section with student / parent / teacher would be helpful as well. " Does teacher wants to send an update to parents on the assignment creation/due date?" The parent should receive all updates and have the option to opt out of this feature.

• Lisa H.Lisa H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of the parent being able to see the assignments--it helps prevent the flurry of emails I often deal with because the student hasn't told the parent what is due and the parent is trying to make sure the student turns in the assignments.

I agree that parents seeing the assignments would add to the value of using 365 and prevent other solutions being used to manage assignments.

Agree 100% with this idea. This is needed to make O365 education compete with other solutions such as Show me homework.

As a teacher, I'd want parents to view their child's work, click on links I send them, view grades and comments I've made, the calendar of assignments, and also have a way for me to see that they have received something I sent them. In the print world teachers send homework/ reading logs for parents to sign, permission slips, grade reports and reports on their child's behavior. In order to facilitate effective communication with parents, Microsoft Classroom would need these features.

As a teacher, I don't really want to give the exact same access to the parent as the student because I want students doing their own work. Parents should be able to view and indicate they have seen the information and write a comment.

"Trying to get more information. What are the set of activities teachers wants to inform/engage with parents."

I think grades, assignment due dates, and ability to see the assignment details"

"If there is a way where teacher can send an email update to students parents easily from classroom on assignment activities would that work?"

I think that would work as long as it was assignment activities and grades. It would also be super powerful if there was a way to send a text message instead of an email.

I need to add that in order for sharing to be successful and easy for teachers classroom needs to pull the parent info from the SIS. so when a teacher presses share there is an option to share to parents and it pulls that info automatically from the student information system.

@Rohit To be specific, I would like parents to be able to view their child's full Class Notebook section group with read only access, through a provided link.

ALLOW each classes WICH is a O365 groups and works like it to be public instead of private. Admin will be allowed to put these specifics groups create by teacher to a public view (confidentiality option, still in grey for groups created with classroom Creator)

• Scott LettsScott Letts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Parents should have the same view as students (at the moment we share student login details with parents, not ideal).

Parents should be able to:

OneNote:
    - See their child's section
    - See the Content Library
    - See the Collaboration Space

Files:
    - See their own child's folder in Files (see https://edu.uservoice.com/forums/289447-general/suggestions/14771766-create-individual-student-folders-in-files-tab)

Conversations:
    - Tenant control if parents can see conversations

Assignments:
    - Parents can see student assignments, including grades and feedback

Announcements:
    - A checkbox that allows teachers to send a message to parents

Calendar
    - Parents can view calendar

In summary, the functionality is on-par with the students however parents are 'read only' for 'their child only / all class' content.

• Mike SlaterMike Slater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally we would want the ability for the parents to get the same view as their children so that they can logon and see what assignments have been set.

• Rohit KapoorAdminRohit Kapoor (Admin, Microsoft Corporation) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your votes and comments.Trying to get more information. What are the set of activities teachers wants to inform/engage with parents.

For eg - Does teacher wants to send an update to parents on the assignment creation/due date?
    If there is a way where teacher can send an email update to students parents easily from classroom on assignment activities would that work?

Requires maintaining up to date parental contact details from an MIS/SIS but would be a very powerful way of engaging parents in their children's learning. This is a key feature of some learning platforms.

Feedback and Knowledge Base